Community Service and Pastoral Outreach
Interfaith Hospitality Network
The Eau Claire Interfaith Hospitality Network exists to provide shelter, meals, companionship and assistance to families without homes. Congregations participating in the program provide overnight lodging and meals for up to 20 people at Beacon House for one week, four times a year. St James is a “buddy” parish of Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd.
Volunteers provide food or sleep over at Beacon House which is located at 309 E. Lake Street.
- Arrive at 8:00 pm. You will be greeted by a staff member who will update you with information on current guests, give you a tour of the facility and give you a key for the sleep over room/bathroom.
- You will interact with the guests and their families until lights out (10:30 pm, latest). You can stay up as late as you want or retire to sleep over room. You can leave the next morning at 7:30 am when Beacon House staff arrives. Note - there are no showers.
- The guests at Beacon House are very appreciative of volunteers and show it by inviting you into their lives with conversation, smiles, and thank you’s.
- Dinner is served at 5:30 pm so if you are preparing the food in your home you should arrive at Beacon House by 5:15 for set-up time. If you are preparing meal at Beacon House, arrive accordingly. Prepare enough food for the guests, staff and volunteers.
- Some volunteers leave after the meal is finished; others stay a while and interact with the guests by playing games, etc.
- Meals can be provided by a single person, families, or groups.
- The guests love having the volunteers sit down and eat with them. They are very welcoming and enjoy talking.
Teresa Larson H:715 834-5325 or C:715 456-8115